Sunday 22 January 2012

Making my mental health a priority

I've been thinking a lot lately about what exactly it is that I want out of life.  I know a lot of what I don't want, but still working on the what do I want.  The one thing that I have come to is that my mental health has to be my priority, no matter decisions I make about my life.  If my mental health isn't good, then nothing else matters.  In the middle of depression I am unable to enjoy anything else.  There are lots of things that are good for my mental health and I need to focus on those things in my life.  It means being around people that build me up and spending less time with people that bring me down.  It means being more disciplined with exercise and eating.  It means finding those things that give me energy, strength and enjoyment and focussing on those.  It means worrying less about what I should be doing, and more doing what I want to be doing, or trying things to see if I want to be doing them.  But mostly, it means evaluating things against how they make me feel.  Do they help with the depression and anxiety or do they cause more of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment