Sunday 6 November 2011

Getting away

I spent this past weekend in Banff, AB, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  I went with a friend and some of her friends.  There is a film festival there every fall featuring all sorts of outdoors, and adventure type films. It was remarkable to me what a weekend away with fun, happy people, a fun activity and amazing scenery can do for my soul.

The company was lovely.  These are people that really know who they are and how to live their lives by their own rules.  This is something I am really working on in my life.  It is so relaxing to be around people like this as the atmosphere around them is light.  It's not to say they don't have their troubles, but there is just something so appealing about being with them.  It really made me see the benefits of getting to that place also.

Watching movies about people who like extreme adventure was good for me.  (Don't worry mum and dad, I'm not inspired to do the risky things some of these people do).  They made me see that life is about what you make of it.  We all have to take some risks in our lives to grow, to learn and to challenge ourselves.  It also leads us to be creative and see beauty in the world.  Without that we are stagnant and being stagnant, for me anyhow, leads to depression.

The mountains to me are always a place of recharging.  I am a prairie girl at heart and am not sure I could live there, but visiting is awesome.   They are beautiful, especially this weekend with a fresh coat of snow and then brilliant sunshine.  It reminded me that there is beauty all around and it is only a matter of noticing it.

It is so nice for me to be able to take time out of my life and recharge and take stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment