Monday 14 November 2011

A day where things were clicking

I had a good day today.  Everything clicked.  I enjoyed the walk to work (despite not wearing quite enough clothes and being chilly).  Once I got to work I had a nice chat with a co-worker.  A co-worker and I put together a silly joke for another co-worker.  We laughed when we were creating it, and he laughed pretty hard when we gave it to him.  I successfully figured out how to approach a different co-worker who is driving me a bit nuts.  The conversation with him went well and came to an outcome that I can live with for now.

A couple of things I realized about myself today.  I am energized when I do things that are creative and fun and silly, like the joke.  It is nice to do things like that and it uses a part of my brain that makes me happy.  The creative side of my brain has been pretty quiet for a long time.  The point is that it makes me happy to use that part of my brain.  I need to be more intentional at figuring out what exactly I can do on this front.  I'm not sure yet, but something to think about.

I also felt good for standing up and asking for my needs to be met with my co-worker.  In the end, even if things don't work out in a way that I like, I asked for what I needed.  And, I didn't feel any anxiety about doing it.  Wow, that is  such a great feeling.  I really felt like I had a right to ask him to consider my side of it. I also talked to him before I got really annoyed and was able to calmly state what I wanted to say.  I didn't apologize for my feelings or for asking him to consider things from a different angle. I am really not used to being able to do this.  It's a very empowering feeling.  And it's so nice to be able to deal with things that used to be so hard for me without it causing problems.

Days like today have been few and far between in my life.  Today was good.  No worry, no anxiety, only doing things that were good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment