Thursday 9 June 2011

Truth

The truth shall set you free.  I never really used to understand this saying, it seemed pretty weird to me actually.  I get it now.  Part of my journey has been to really come to know, accept and be open to who I really am, the me underneath it all.  This has sometimes been very rewarding, sometimes been very difficult and sometimes pretty ho hum.  The thing is that, especially with the difficult stuff, the more I am able to do it, the more I feel complete, whole, real and authentic.  A friend of mine said to me yesterday that being authentic is the best we can hope for as that's what lets us present the best of ourselves to others, and we all deserve to be able to present our best selves (I hope I paraphrased that right).  It is true though.  The more I am ok with me, the more I am able to be ok with others, to let them see me, good, bad and ugly.

I also feel a great weight lifting off my shoulders.  It is exhausting always trying to be something you are not, trying to meet up to my perception of other people's expectations and yet never considering what my own expectations are.  Underneath the depression, pain, fear and anxiety is a beautiful person who is making her way into the world.

1 comment:

  1. Read that last sentence aloud slowly and carefully, Danielle. Linger awhile on those last twelve words. Never forget it.

    ReplyDelete