Monday 6 June 2011

Connection

One challenge I am thinking a lot about now is how to connect to other people.  In the depression I was pretty much disconnected from everyone, at some level anyhow.  As I have been working through this I have been able to connect to people because I have been sick.  As someone said to me, people will often come through in a crisis.

Now that I am on the mend, how do I connect to people?  What do I need from relationships with others?  How do I make sure not to go back to the lonely, disconnected state?  I think part of this is being realistic about the fact that some of my relationships have and will continue to change as I have changed.  Some for the better and possibly some for the worse.  This is often hard to accept, but I am really determined to be who I am and not to hide anymore, so this is inevitable.

So, what do I want out of relationships?  I know this will be relationship specific, and it is something I need to give some thought to.  Once I know that, the challenge is asking for what I need.  I'm not always good at that, but I guess it is a new skill I am going to learn here as time goes on.

1 comment:

  1. The only advice I have for you, Danielle, is get out there and spend time with people. You won't know what you want or need sitting in the bullpen. You'll find it "out there" interacting with people. You'll also define yourself better "out there": the boundaries are found at the edges. You have a lot to offer. You have a good heart. Don't overthink it. Trust yourself, trust your friends and other people (someone). Now, go have some fun. Connect. Enjoy your life.

    ReplyDelete