Tuesday 14 June 2011

Fun

I realized yesterday that without some distractions I tend to think a lot.  While on some level this is productive thinking and is helping me sort through some things, it can also be too much and allow me to dwell on things.  With this realization I decided to go out and do something fun, well fun for me, I'm not sure that everyone would think what I did fun.  Today I also had some fun.

Yesterday I went to Kananaskis Country and rode my bike up the Highwood Pass.  For those who don't know, K-country is in the mountains just west of Calgary and the Highwood Pass is part of the highway that runs through the area.  This part of the highway is closed in the winter and re-opens on June 15th.  Cyclists go out in June to ride as it is a great ride and there aren't any cars.  The ride itself is 17km each way.  It is 500m elevation gain on the way up.  It took me about 2 hours to ride up and 45 minutes to ride down.  The ride down is why I bother riding up.  It is 45 minutes of coasting and fabulous.  It made me feel like I was 10 again coasting down the hills around my parents place.

Today I hung out with my mum, my sister and my nephew.  They are such lovely people you can't help but be in a good mood by the end of a visit.

As I change the way I live to find a better balance I need to remember to incorporate fun into it.   I can't just wait for fun to happen, I need to be intentional about pursuing the things I find fun.  This is part of the upside of dealing with the hard stuff, being able to enjoy things, activities and people, to have for the sake of having fun, to remember that there is a child in all of us who is always looking to play.  I often forget that play and fun are an important part of life and really do feed the soul.  I am working hard at not forgetting anymore.

Now for me to ask you... What do you like to do that is fun?

1 comment:

  1. Hike, play board and strategy games, make bad jokes, help people, learn new ideas and apply them, look at the stars/comets/meteor showers, flirt, take photos, drive fast, listen to music, play music, sing, dress up, enjoy fine arts/performance arts, try new foods and wines and enjoy favorites, read, shop, travel, visit friends and family, do interesting work, research, organize, and so on...

    ReplyDelete