Saturday 7 May 2011

What does "normal" feel like?

I've been living with depression for so long that I really have no clue what "normal" feels like.  I know that I no longer feel like I am living in a fog and can't cope (most of the time).  I have energy to make it through whole days without a nap.  I no longer sleep 14 hours a day.  I've started eating again.  I  am not getting my energy from anxiety and drama in my life.  These things are all positive.  But is how I feel normal?  I don't really have any way to measure if a down day is normal or a depression day.   And, will I feel this way when I stop taking the anti-depressants?  I guess in the end I would certainly rather feel how I feel today than how I felt for oh so long. 

1 comment:

  1. You got me, Danielle. Personally, I think so-called “normal” is highly overrated. I, myself, like being slightly left of centre. The view’s fine from over here. But then again, I’ve always been out there dancing in the moonlight. Perhaps you’ll never know so-called “normal” (if it even exists). I think so-called “normal” is just a myth, like the Ogopogo and the G-spot. But that might be ok, so long as you find your own balance and perspective. That’s probably enough. Give it time. Find “your” normal.

    ReplyDelete