Sunday 18 December 2011

Thoughts on Christmas

Yesterday my family had an early Christmas party.  I was in my parents house thinking how different the day was from last year.  Last year it was all I could do to get out of bed, I was on sick leave from work and had just started on the anti-depressants (which made me feel awful).  My brother-in-law and dad kicked all the women out of the kitchen as my mum had a cast on her foot and my sister was 9+ months pregnant.  I was barely coping, barely going, barely functioning, really barely alive.  For the week after that I slept at least 14 hours a day.

Yesterday I kicked my mum out of the kitchen at one point.  I felt engaged and connected to the people around me that I care so much about.  I felt alive.  I loved watching my nephew try to sort out what it all meant.  I loved feeling a part of my family.  I was happy and a part of everything.  Such an amazing place to be.

These contrasts are good for me to remember because when I have bad days now, I can see how far I've come.  I remember what it was like then, and I see how things are now.  It's still amazing to me that things can be as they are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment