Sunday 4 December 2011

Positive effects

I have had the privilege in the last while of seeing what effect this blog, and the changes in me are having on other people.  I have been getting to know a new friend of late.  She also lives with depression and is lesbian.  Because I had been open about these two things, and shared this blog with her, we have had some amazing discussions.  Honest, frank and mutually supportive.  I am grateful to have been a part of them.  I believe it is helping her, and it sure is good for me.  I am able to discuss some of the things I have learned and see her perspective and take some of her lessons into my life.

The other concrete example is with my dad (sorry if this is a surprise to you dad).  We have not always been very good at communicating with each other in a constructive manner.  I know I had unfair expectations of him, and we didn't really know each other very well.  I really can see this is changing.  I am learning to take him for who he is and as I do this, I appreciate him more and more.  Yesterday we had a conversation that, to me, was good.  And my observation is that it really had a lot to do with knowing each other better.  I have been more open with my struggles and I believe that understanding is helping him and me both really communicate.  (As I write this I am feeling the tears of gratitude starting).  I have always felt that there was better way for us to be around each other and it seems like we are starting to get to this place.

People have said to me that my willingness to be brave and share my story has helped them be braver.  I am glad for this.  The other thing I really notice is that by being more engaged in my life people react differently to me.  Sometimes this is hard.  Some of my relationships with people are built on mutual unhappiness, or a desire to hide our real selves.  With these people, things are harder.  With other people where the foundation is a good place (even when it was long ago) I am finding my relationships getting stronger as I am more able to share of myself and often that allows the other person to share also.

2 comments:

  1. I love how much you learn in your self reflections...that learning is also a act of bravery IMHO

    ReplyDelete