Tuesday 26 April 2011

Habits

Funny how depression becomes a habit after awhile, well sort of.  I have no doubt that there is something chemical about it as the anti-depressants sure made/make a different for me.  I also have no doubt that the process of healing is a challenge just because depression is a hard thing to deal with and to understand. 

But I can also see that is so many situations the way of depression is the way I am used to reacting and it takes a concious effort to change that.  For example, when depressed I would laugh so easily at almost anything, mostly out of desparation to feel good about something.  But then the next instant I was right back down in depression and wondering why I even thought anything was funny.  As I have been paying more attention I've noticed myself do that a few times.  At least now I notice it and can decide if I really feel up or down instead of habit.

It's tiring the healing process.  It takes a lot of care and attention to everything I do.  I am so used to reacting in a depressed way and I find now I am constantly watching myself to better understand what is habit and what is real.  Like all things, I suspect this will be easier with time, but for now it is challenging and takes a lot of energy.

1 comment:

  1. There is a saying that “courage is often born of desperation.” In this case, laughter is your way of fighting back the depression. Recognize that it is a courageous act. Don’t see it as a failed attempt at happiness (although that too will come), but as a momentary escape from the sadness. With time these “momentary escapes” will become more frequent and longer lasting. And you, like Alice, will find your way back from the Underground.

    I leave you with a riddle:

    Procedures for Underground by Margaret Atwood

    The country beneath
    the earth has green sun
    and the rivers flow backwards;

    the trees and rocks are the same
    as they are here, but shifted.
    Those who live there are always hungry;

    from them you can learn
    wisdom and great power,
    if you can descend and return safely.

    You must look for tunnels, animal
    burrows or the cave in the sea
    guarded by the stone man;

    when you are down you will find
    those who were once your friends
    but they will be changed and dangerous.

    Resist them, be careful
    never to eat their food.
    Afterwards, if you live, you will be able

    to see them when they prowl as winds,
    as thin sounds in our village. You will
    tell us their names, what they want, who

    has made them angry by forgetting them.
    for this gift, as for all gifts, you must
    suffer: those form the underland

    will be always with you, whispering their
    complaints, beckoning you
    back down; while among us here

    you will walk wrapped in an invisible
    cloak. Few will seek your help
    with love, none without fear.

    ReplyDelete