Sunday 16 October 2011

Thankful to be alive

When I have weeks like I have had recently, when everything seems hard and the negativity seems overwhelming, it is good, if I can, to take stock of what I am thankful for.

Today I am thankful to be alive.  That's it.  I'm thankful that when I was younger and thought about suicide that I didn't have the courage to follow through with it.  Or maybe something small was telling me there was hope.  I'm thankful that a few years ago when I considered it again I had enough perspective to understand what it would do to the people I loved and to know I couldn't do that to them.  I don't think I really had any hope at that time, but at least there was something tugging at me.

Right now things seems hard, but I am thankful that I am around to take it on.

3 comments:

  1. I am thankful too, Danielle. Be brave and live the life you want and deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Danielle, I am always amazed at how often your thoughts parallel mine, past or present. It's the loneliest thing in the world at times, and yet, there are so many of us that have been there. And so many who have been there have beaten it. You/we can too!

    For my part, I can think of no worse feeling than sitting alone, knife to my wrist, trying to decide if one more day is worth it. I've since learned that simply being alive is always the biggest thing to be thankful for, no matter what is going wrong at any given time.

    ReplyDelete