Wednesday 21 March 2012

Owning my story

I was out with some friends for dinner last night, that I haven't seen in awhile.  The conversation came around to a point where I ended up telling one of them (as he didn't know) that I am gay.  I was amazed at how nervous that made me.  It's funny in a way.  I feel like I am totally ok with it, and really I wasn't worried about him knowing, but I heard my voice get higher and faster and I started blushing.  Practice I guess, or lack thereof anyhow.

It did however get me thinking about my story and where I am in it right now.  There are times when I need to tell my story, or parts of it.  For me, it comes down to owning my story.  I can't change any of the past and there is no point worrying about it.  It's my story and I have every right to tell it and to not be embarrassed or worried or nervous about it.  I suspect I'll get there, but it is, for now, another part of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment