Sunday 4 March 2012

Community

Today it really registered for me how important it is to have people in our lives that are really in our lives.  People who know us and love us, people we know and love.  I was listening to two trans-gendered people (those who are (or have) transitioning from one gender to the other).  For me the jury is still out on how I feel about this, but what I do know is that it is a decision that comes with a lot of heartache.  These two people were talking about where how they came to the place of being trans-gendered and the supports they found.

Finding myself part of more than one group that is not always accepted by society (those with mental illness and gays/lesbians) I know more and more how very important it is to have people in my life that I can call community.  This journey for me has been rough in places.  In the end, the only way I can really live and be alive is to be true to myself (which I am sure the people telling their stories this morning would agree with).  I need people in my  life that will let me be who I need to be.

I am blessed in so many ways because I have these people.  My family has been great.  Many of my friends from before all the turmoil as still around and still want to be there.  I am also making new friends, ones that know these things about me up front and want to be friends anyhow.  These are the people I would call my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment