Thursday 21 July 2011

Redefining Wellness

When people used to ask me what I was good at I often said taking care of myself.  I can see now that what I meant by that was very different that looking after myself.  What I meant by that was that I didn't need to me in a relationship, I didn't need a man to take care of me, I was perfectly capable of handling things on my own.  I could earn a paycheque, find somewhere to live, cook, clean etc...  But what I wasn't doing is paying attention to my other needs, emotional, physical, spiritual, mental.

What I know now is that I have all sorts of needs that must be met for me to be happy with my life.  I  need to pay attention to that and ask for what I need, speak up, be visible instead of invisible.  Being well is about so many things.  I know I need to pay attention to what I eat so that I have energy for my day.  For me it also means not always trying to do things alone, accepting help and letting other people care for me when I need it.  It means managing my life so I am not always at home alone, but also making sure I leave enough time to be alone and have down time.  It means spending time with the people I love and care about.

If I am not paying attention to all aspects of who I am then I don't really feel alive, some part of me is in hiding and this leads to depression.  Through learning to pay more attention to all of me I am more able to experience life, the good and the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment