Monday 2 June 2014

Clara's Big Ride

I saw Clara Hughes in person this weekend as part of Clara's Big Ride.  For those who don't know, Clara Hughes is one of Canada's most decorated Olympians, winning multiple medals in both the summer (cycling) and winter (long-track speed skating) Olympics.  She is also a HUGE advocate for mental health.  She is currently riding her bike around Canada to raise awareness for mental health and to help end the stigma associated with it.

I would have liked to have met her at the event, but there just wasn't enough time.  I started though to think about what I would like to say to her if (and hopefully when) I get to talk to her in person.  What would I say to this person who in some ways in bigger than life, but in other ways is out there sharing her struggle with depression, talking about the 2 years she could hardly get out of bed.

At the beginning of the event there was a video talking about how mental illness doesn't discriminate.  At the end a bunch of different people came on and said "I could be one of them" and then Clara Hughes was very last saying "I am one of them".  At that point I wanted to stand up and cheer and say "Me too".  You see, the thing about depression is that it can be totally isolating, make you feel like garbage and like no one out there understands.  Connection is so important.

So here is this woman in front of a gym full of people, and by all counts up to about 50,000 people by that point in the ride, saying that yes, she struggles.  Here is this larger than life person, who was at the top of the athletic world, saying shortly thereafter she couldn't get out of bed.  Here was this person saying that she too struggles with some of the things I struggle with.  Rarely has anything made me feel so brave about my struggles.  Rarely has anything made my want to help that much.  Rarely has anything made me feel so much like it's ok to have this illness.  It's ok to talk about it.  And, I already talk about it, even though it is hard.

I  wonder how many people she has reached who are too scared to talk about it.  I wonder how many people have been able to use this ride to start a conversation with someone that they otherwise would not have known how to?  I believe she is doing a good thing.  She is opening up doors for conversation and help that were not there before.  She is inspiring people to know that help exists and that there is another way, other than the suffering.

And so, what would I say to her?  All this and more.  I would love to talk about her experience, what it's like to be the face of mental health for Bell Let's Talk.  I would love to just have a conversation about life, about my experience too.  In the mean time, I will have this conversation with the people in my life.  I will use the energy I found at her event, the connection I felt to move forward in my life.

Thank you Clara Hughes and team for making this ride happen.  Thank you for raising awareness and giving people a sense of connection and hope.

1 comment:

  1. So well said! I hope you do get to meet her one day and get the chance for that conversation in person. Thank you for helping to educate me.

    ReplyDelete