Thursday 12 June 2014

Trauma and Strength

I was cleaning out my spare room today and I came across a box that was still taped up from my move 6 years ago.  It said memories on the top, so I thought it would be pretty tame.  I was wrong.  Inside I find a bunch of stuff that was obviously hastily packed.  A bunch of stuff from my last workplace, before I moved to a different city.

I did not have a good experience at that workplace, and I still carry around a lot of trauma from it.  When I first opened the box and saw what it all was, I has a major dose of anxiety.  At first I  figured I would just throw everything out and not have to deal with it, ever again.  As the day progressed though, I realized that I couldn't just throw the physical reminders away and never have to deal again.  The strong reaction I had, told me that there is still a lot of emotional turmoil.

I also am stronger and better equipped to deal with the trauma than I was 6 years ago.  So, I dug in.  I made myself look at the stuff I had found.  It was hard to start, but as I got going it wasn't as hard as I expected.  It was still tough and anxiety provoking to be sure, and some of that is still rattling around in me. It did make me realize how much more I can handle now than I could then.

A couple of things out of this.  The first is to remember that I can handle a lot of things that I might at first think that I can't.  The other thing is I am more able to give myself a break for staying in a toxic situation for way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment