Friday 20 June 2014

This and That

I have a couple of  things in my head I want to write about, and I can't find a theme between them, so here is the disjointed post.

A couple of weeks ago I had an interesting experience.  I ran into someone from my group therapy while I was out with my mom and my nephews.  It is the first time I have run into someone from there since the group ended last December.  I didn't really know what would happen.  I happened to see the woman from a ways off and was curious to see when we got closer to each other.  When she came closer I looked in her direction and smiled.  She didn't look at me at all.  It was obvious that she knew I was there and that she was making a point of making it seem like she didn't see me and didn't know me.  It was interesting to be that intentionally ignored.

Today is the one year anniversary of the big flood that affected so many people last year.  And, it has been raining here all week. It really is a city on edge right now.  High rivers, run-off and some flooding is a pretty common occurrence in June.  Major devastating flooding is not common.  We've all been keeping an eye on the rivers this month.  A few towns have been affected this year, but so far, nothing really out of the ordinary. But, the tension is certainly there.  I notice myself having a lot of conversations about last year.  I think as a city we are all processing it all over again.  I feel for the people who were affected last year as I can imagine that their anxiety of the rivers this year must be high.

Mental health is so important to me.  I hope that the conversations are helpful to all of us.  I hope that the people who need more assistance are getting what they need. This is a tough situation.  It was an event that affected everyone in this city, whether they were directly affected or not.  It was an event that we will not forget any time soon.  

I like what our city government is doing.  They have declared tomorrow neighbour day in an effort to celebrate the amazing response to the flood.  They are encouraging people to have BBQ's, block parties etc... to celebrate their neighbours and communities.  It's pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment