Tuesday 4 September 2012

The shrinking bubble

I was talking tonight at group about how for the last over year and a half I have really been insulating myself in a bubble in order to heal.  I've been focusing on that and letting other things fall off to the side.  This has been good for the most part, and definitely something I needed to do.  But, I said something about the bubble starting to feel small.  As I said it, I realized how true it was.

I've known this for awhile I guess.  But much of it came to light for me this week when I exchanged some difficult emails with a friend.  And so, I now am more aware that I need to get back into the world.  One of the biggest challenges I see is finding a way to integrate some of my life before with my life now.  I was hiding from myself and doing everything I could to be someone else.  But, not everything was bad.  There are good people in my life from then.  Good people that I don't want out of my life.  And yet, I can't have them in my life in the same way.

It dawns on me as I write this that I am scared.  Scared that being around the same people will put me in a place to continue the same old habits that are bad for me.  Scared that I won't be able to find different ways to relate to people that I have known for awhile.  Scared of not being able to cope or manage or be ok.  This is likely not fair to those people, but it is how I feel.  It makes me sad also to think that I am scared of relating to some people that have always been such good friends.

As hard as it may be, I am not willing to let some people go without trying to find a way through this.  I need to have patience with myself and ask my friends to do the same.  I am learning new ways of being and relating, new ways that are so much healthier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment