Wednesday 19 September 2012

Awkward Moments

Today at work it came up with someone I don't know very well that I had been off sick for a week.  As we all do when we don't want to catch something she started moving away.  All I said was I wasn't contagious.

What I really wanted to say was that no, you can't catch this.  But, it affects you.  It affects everyone in some way.  She may not know other people dealing with depression, or she might.  But, she knows me.  She may well be ignorant of the fact that she knows someone with depression.  I wanted to say, see my invisible struggles, see me, see what I go through.  No, I don't have a cold or the flu or a broken bone or anything you can see.  I am struggling though.  And my struggles are no less valid or challenging than anyone else's, even if you can't see them.  Even if I choose in that moment to keep them hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment