Tuesday 17 April 2012

Getting more comfortable in my skin

I was talking to a co-worker today and the fact that I have been dealing with depression came out.  It was not big deal for me.  I was shocked.  I just said it, without even really thinking about it.  It was relevant to whatever it was that we were talking about and so I said it.

I like that telling her was no big deal.  I wasn't worried about what she would say or what the fall out would be.  It's a fact of life for me right now and I am becoming more ok with that.

It's not the only thing.  As I have been spending time over the last nearly 1.5 year getting to know myself, I have also come to accept a lot of things about me.  A lot of things that I thought were terrible and things you just didn't show before.  Never show weakness, never give anyone a chance to find something to criticize. Be perfect all the time... ahhhhh....  As I write this, I feel the tension and anxiety that I used to feel.  But I feel it in a "holy I had some troubles" kind of way.  Not in a judging way, but in a compassionate and grateful that things have changed kind of way.

Amazing really how dealing with the depression and working on some things can change perceptions.  I am still me, but in becoming more comfortable with so many parts of me, things are easier to manage, to handle.  Life is so much easier when I don't constantly feel like I have to watch what I am saying in case I show some side of me that could be considered weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment