Tuesday 5 August 2014

Tolerance vs. Acceptance

I read a blog post today about tolerance vs. acceptance and it got me motivated to put into words something that has been in my head for a bit.  I was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago now and had an interesting experience (on top of having a great trip).  There is a neighbourhood there called Church-Wellesley.  As I understand it, it is otherwise known as the gay neighbourhood.  There is an LGBT community centre and evidence all around of rainbow flags and acceptance of gay people.

As a lesbian it was interesting to be in a place where it was so accepted.  There is no such neighbourhood in Calgary where I live.  I am sure this is partly due to the size of the city, but also partly culture.  In some ways I really enjoyed being in the gay neighbourhood in Toronto.  In  other ways it was strange to me.  My reaction wasn't what I expected.

I thought I would be happy to be in an area where I would be totally accepted for who I am.  And I was, but on the other hand I felt like I shouldn't need a few block area to tell me that who I am is acceptable.  This isn't a knock on Toronto, or the community there.  I know that for so many people being gay feels unsafe and it must be nice to have a place to go where it feels safe.  Maybe it is a result of figuring out my sexuality in my 30's.  Maybe it is coming to terms with my sexuality while coming to terms with depression.  I don't care as much about a lot of things that I used to, especially what other people think.  Not sure I have the answers, only a feeling, and one that surprises me.

No comments:

Post a Comment