Sunday 10 August 2014

Letting go

I was telling a friend recently about the person in my life who is frustrating me with their behaviour (see previous post). He said something that struck me. It was one of those moments that happen when you least expect it, one of those casual conversations that in the end mean a lot.  He sais his whole reaction to the situation would be to say that when this person is ready to act like an adult and talk about things that I would be ready to talk. Until then screw it, I am carrying on with my life.

I am grateful for this reaction. It really made me realize that I have been letting this person have a lot of my mental energy lately. In some ways that is ok as I am learning to navigate differently in the world. But I know I also have a tendency to get too focused on something amd can't seem to let it go. Likely this is part of the anxiety that for me comes with depression. Anyhow, my friend's words gave me the kick I needed to get out of the rut.

He's right. This isn't my thing to deal with right now and I have a life to lead. A life that, in the main, doesn't need to include this person. Really we only get one shot at life and I want to live mine.  Life really is too short to worry about the crap other people want us to take on.

So thank-you my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment