Sunday 13 April 2014

Violence

I just heard someone outside my window saying "then I'll just beat her up". I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, but the way the guy said that made me think. It made me think about violence, and how it affects me.

I am very sensitive to it. I remember once at university someone came to class and her face was all swollen. It really affected me. I have also been so close to it myself. I was in a relationship once where I nearly hit someone. I can't watch the news because all the violence in our world has a major effect on me.

My counsellor said she thinks I am a very sensitive person. This makes sense to me. I am sensitive to the energy around me. Even hearing someone talking about beating someone up is difficult.

In the book "Rilla of Ingleside" one of the characters takes a long time to enlist. Not because he doesn't believe in the cause, but because he is so sensitive to the pain and ugliness of war. I relate to this feeling. I try hard to avoid the violence in the world, or at least seeing it as it affects me so deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment