Thursday 10 April 2014

Seeing the World

I had an experience this afternoon that make me think about how people see the world. I had two things happen at work this afternoon, one good and one difficult. I told 2 people about them. I started with both of them with "I have good news and bad news". One wanted to hear the good news first and the other the bad news first. Interestingly, in my opinion, the one who wanted the good news first generally has a more positive outlook on life.

This experience got me thinking about how I see the world and also who I spend my time with. I want to see the world in a hopeful way. I know that one of the signs of depression is negativity, and I certainly see it in myself when I am struggling. But, when I am doing ok, how do I want to see the world?

I don't  want to see the world in a jaded and cynical way. I don't want to assume that the worst is going to happen. I want to be open to possibilities. But I also want to be real and authentic. For the most part I manage to see the world this way.

As for who I spend mmy time with... I certainly find myself drawn more and more to people who are generally hopeful and positive. This hasn't always been the case in my life, although at times it has. To me it is a sign of healing more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment