Sunday 21 April 2013

Taking it back

I've been thinking a lot lately about things I have stopped doing in my life because someone told me I wasn't any good at them.  Writing was one of those things.  Drawing was another.

Who says I have to be any good?  I am a writer and an artist because I write and I draw.  Am I a professional?  No.  Will I ever make a living at either?  Not likely (although I do make a living doing a lot of writing right now - but the topic is not my choice).  Does it matter?  No.

I love writing, I love drawing. I love using pencil crayons to make patterns and designs.  I love drawing Ziggy cartoons.  I love putting words together to make a point.  I love finding a way to express what I think and how I see the world.  And so, I do it.  I am a writer.  I am an artist.

1 comment:

  1. I draw, now and then, exactly because I am no good at it, never will be, ...and it doesn't matter..."if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." Such a freedom! Not to "have to IMPROVE"... :-)

    ReplyDelete