Saturday 20 April 2013

Boston Marathon bombings

I'm not sure this post is really about mental health, but it has been on my mind a lot this week, so I'm sharing it with all of you anyhow.

I've been thinking a lot about the reaction in the US and in Canada.  People die in senseless ways all across the world, including the US and Canada, everyday and there is not this kind of out pouring of emotion.  There is not this kind of solidarity and support for the victims, for the law enforcement.  I've been thinking about why this is.

I think what happened in Boston shakes people's sense of security.  For the most part Boston is a safe place.  People go to the Boston marathon every year to watch and to run.  My co-worker went last year.  No one thinks it is risky (other than running a marathon can be risky).  No one worries about their safety.  Sporting events, especially marathons, are events to celebrate athleticism, to celebrate determination, to celebrate commitment to a goal and to celebrate achievement.  I wouldn't think twice about going to watch.  I certainly don't think twice when the local marathon runs right through my neighbourhood.  For the most part the people who run and watch are ordinary people with jobs and families.  People who train for these kinds of things while running their lives.  Lives like mine and yours.

For me watching and playing sports also can be a great escape from some of the harsher realities of life.  And now, those harsh realities are right in front of me, in the very place I go to escape from them.

I see that when something we generally consider a safe thing to do becomes unsafe people are shaken.  Also, Boston is a generally safe place to be and the people that live and visit there want to keep it that way.  And so the support for law enforcement.  The sporting world, fans and athletes want to show that they understand and that they too want this part of life to remain safe.

It's hard when things we think we can count on are shaken.  There is a lot of emotion that goes with that.  Showing solidarity, showing that emotion is one way to cope.

These are my thoughts on this, for right or for wrong.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment