Sunday 23 December 2012

Coming up for air

Since the end of September my job has been crazy nuts.  I worked a tonne of overtime.  For a few weeks in there it felt like all I did was work.  The last few days it feels like I am coming up for air.  I have sent emails to a few friends I haven't talked to forever.  I have spent some time with my family.  I have cleaned parts of my house. These seems like little things, but I didn't have the energy for so many of them for so long.

One thing I learned through all this is that working that much doesn't do me any favours.  It is really hard on me in fact.  There were a number of days in there that I really felt the depression on its way back.  I am definitely exhausted.  I am back to exhausted from burned out.  I hit that wall with 6 work days left before the holiday.

I realize that I need balance in my life.  It's not just a nice to have that I strive for.  Yes, I can manage for a short while, but 3 months is too long. I need to get back to a place where I am mainly working 4 days a week.  I know that without this balance I am very much at risk of needing to be off work again.  This is certainly not my goal.

It is nice to come up for air.  It gives me time to think about how to avoid being in this place again.

No comments:

Post a Comment