Monday 20 February 2012

The Road

I just watched the documentary "Darkness and Hope" by Michael Landsberg.  For those who don't know he is a sports broadcaster in Canada.  One of the lines of the movie was "it would be nice to say that depression is just a bump in the road, but for many of us it is the road for the rest of our lives".  this is a way I have chosen to think about this.  I don't want to feel like something is wrong if I can't  be cured.  Maybe I can, who knows.  But, I know that things will not be better without changes by me.  Part of this has been finding the things inside that make me feel lousy about myself.  Part of it is choosing everyday to live in a way that honours who I am.  Depression is part of who I am so I need to honour that part of me also.  If I am on this road for the rest of my life, then the lifestyle things that keep the darkness more or less at bay become even more important.  Knowing what all of these things are is important, and very challenging.  It's really a trial and error process.  If I do something and feel better or good, then probably worth putting energy to it.  Being aware and paying attention are very important.  I have days when I can't be bothered, but in the end, I usually notice that things are off.  Hopefully some of the things to do become more automatic and less work over time.

I want to live my life the best way I can.  That means doing what I need to do to be healthy, even if sometimes people don't understand that.

2 comments:

  1. The mind is a powerful tool, it can overcome many illnesses like cancer, a positive outlook can heal the body, so don't give up hope that you cannot ever get off of medication for depression, also certain omega 3 oils have proved to help with depression, there was an interesting article in the Province newspaper about the omega 3 and depression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the omega 3-6-9 seem to have a good effect on depression, I have had that told to me by those around me when I started taking them. STay away from Ginkgo biloba as that is not good for depression. A positive outlook and continuing to honour yourself and accept the circumstances that have been placed in front of you are very very important. Don't forget there are a lot of people who care for you and accept you for who Danielle is! As a counsollor put it, we take vitamines to supplement what might be lacking for the body; the depression meds are vitamines for our brain. You are a brave woman and doing what is right for Danielle! That is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete