Sunday 11 August 2013

A cool experience

A couple of days ago I was wandering around a funky area of my city with my mum, near where she grew up.  We went into a furniture store.  As we went into the basement, my mum started talking about having her wedding reception there.  We were in the old Oddfellows and Rebekahs hall.  Then she kept going, which was so cool.  They couldn't have alcohol in the downstairs so the dance was in the basement and the drinking was upstairs.  Turns out my granddad helped build the hall.  The old wood floor is still there in the upstairs part.  She talked about going there as a child to see Santa.  I also remember going there as a child to see Santa.

My grandma was a Rebekah and my mum was one too.  I've heard a number of stories about them, but the ones this week were new to me.

It was super awesome to hear my mum tell her stories and see her remembering some of the good times of her life.  Those are the kinds of moments I cherish.  They are spontaneous for sure.  It's neat to hear about my mum's life and learn some history of my city.  Thanks mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment