Tuesday 5 March 2013

Accomplishments

At Group tonight we got talking about being sad because we haven't accomplished things in the last year.  This didn't sit well with me.

I wonder how much happiness we as people deprive ourselves of because we focus on accomplishments and being sad because time passes and we don't feel like we have accomplished anything? It seems a shame to be that we measure happiness this way.  Much of it was about jobs and relationships and having a family etc...

And so, what have I accomplished in the last year?  I have accomplished many things, but I doubt many would show up on a lot of peoples lists of things to feel good about, but I do.  I have accomplished love, friendship, self-discovery, joy, sadness, anger, life.  I have learned new things about myself and the world.  I have been a friend and had friends.  I have been a daughter and a sister and an aunt.

But more than that, I have learned to feel my emotions.  And to me this is the most amazing thing of all.  I have done a lot of healing and growing and learning to live with depression.

I got talking about my nephews tonight and was talking about how I felt when the oldest one was born.  And also how it took a long time for me to feel comfortable being left alone with him.  I was also talking about how I babysat both of my nephews the other night and it was not only fine, but I really enjoyed it. For this I am grateful.  I realized how very much I have accomplished in the last year or two.  Nothing that a lot of people would measure or count as success, but I sure do.


1 comment:

  1. thank you for this post. for years I always said don't worry about it, you can't hurt me, I have no emotions. Funny that I always got a laugh when I said it. Group has brought out a lot of emotions I didn't know I had. Always look forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete