Monday 11 May 2015

The Silver Lining

For the past 2+ months I have been working on rehabilitating a stress fracture in my foot. And the rehab will continue for some time yet.  This means staying off it as much as possible. Challenging for me. My main sources of exercise are walking to and from work and playing dodgeball. Neither of which are really about staying off your foot.

When I first got the news I was pretty worried about what this would do to my mental health. Like a lot of people, exercise is one of the big parts of living with depression for me. I wasn't sure how I was going to manage. For the first couple of weeks I didn't manage very well. I still wanted to do the regular things.

After that I started getting a bit creative and doing other things. Not necessarily my choice of things, but at least a good substitute to keeping the darkness at bay.

Funny things is, now that I have to be more intentional about exercising I think I am doing more of it than I was. It has really made thing about my regular habits. I don't usually pay attention to the amount of time or the balance of exercise. I have been doing that more of late. I am hoping that some of the new habits will stick. At that very least it has made me pay more attention.

I also see more clearly just how important getting exercise is to my mental health regime. A better understanding of the link and the effects is never a bad thing.

#blog4mh
#getloud

No comments:

Post a Comment